Churchyard & Memorials


The churchyard contains approximately 80 memorial stones, from the 17th � mid 19th centuries. Many have survived well but some have been damaged or have suffered from weather erosion.  All the memorials are in the soft local sandstone with one exception which is constructed of slate.

According to the parish registers, over 1,926 people are buried in the churchyard. The real number may be greater than this as no records were kept in the Civil War.

The earliest visible memorials in the churchyard itself date from 1776, when King George III was on the throne. A small number are intricately carved. Many of the graves also have footstones with the initials of the person buried.

Other Memorials outside the churchyard

The Canopied tomb (north wall of chancel) The earliest known memorial is the canopied tomb on the north wall of the chancel. There would have once been a stone effigy here but it is likely that this and the table top of the tomb were smashed during the time of the Reformation. It is possibly a founder's tomb dedicated to William de Ore. It would once have been plastered and probably painted.

Crispe Memorial Stones � these were originally in the nave but are now within the tower for safe-keeping. The two stones � memorials from the Crispe family, who were Lords of the Manor in the 17th century, date from 1624 and 1641.

14th/15th century brass (St Helen's Church, the Ridge) A late 14th or early 15th century brass, either of Robert de Ore and his wife, or John Halle and his wife Amice, can be seen in the new church. Other 18th century memorials, including those of the Murray family, can also be seen here.

A detailed survey of the memorial stones will be available online in due course.